Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday - Vidstone


I thought this would be a great entry for Tombstone Tuesday. I cut this out of a newspaper 5 years ago. You can go to the company's website here.

I remember the first time I was introduced to photographs on headstones. It was years ago in South America. I thought it was not only tasteless, but spooky. I no longer hold that opinion. Chalk it up to youth and ignorance.

But I think these video memorials are the up and coming thing and are a wonderful innovation. What a great way to show the world your loved one's life. I often think that when youth visit graveyards, they look at it as well - a graveyard - people they don't know and don't care about. I don't look at it that way. I look at it like a city - a city of the departed where you can visit those who walked your way before you. In Cairo, Egypt is a famous graveyard called the City of the Dead. This place is huge and probably contains more people than Cairo itself. I remember seeing this City of the Dead while passing by on a bus. I was amazed at the size. "City of the Dead" for that graveyard or any is apropos.

When Vidstone becomes popular enough maybe we should start calling the graveyards - Cities of the living dead - all right, I concede. I'm just getting weird here. It sounds like a horror flick. But all jokes aside, I like vidstones. I hope someday I can share in the joy of someone else's loved one's life by seeing their video tribute on the stone.

No comments: